Potzus Ltd. is one of Saskatchewan’s largest construction companies. Established in 1966, we are a second generation family owned and operated business. We provide top quality work to the Government of Saskatchewan, various municipalities, First Nations and the private sector. Day to day operations include excavation, earth moving, site development, aggregate production, and paving.
We are currently hiring for flagpersons for road construction in the Snow Lake MB area on Hwy 39 for the remainder of 2020 season. Flagging experience is an asset but training can be provided to the right candidate. Must be willing to work as a labourer when needed. Road construction and paving in the area will be requiring multiple flagpersons for traffic control. Must be able to provide own transportation to job site close to Reed Lake MB.
We are looking to hire a dedicated and observant Flagger to monitor the flow of traffic around road construction sites. The Flagger’s responsibilities include informing motorists of possible detour routes, reporting disobedient drivers to law enforcement officials, and answering motorists’ questions. You should also be able to direct emergency vehicles safely through construction zones as required.
To be successful as a Flagger, you should have excellent communication skills and be able to work effectively as part of a team. Ultimately, a top-notch Flagger should demonstrate sound knowledge of state traffic regulations as well as exceptional observation skills.
- Using hand signals and direction signs to direct traffic around road construction sites.
- Communicating with other flaggers using hand-held radios to direct two-way traffic onto a single lane.
- Informing the construction crew of any traffic issues that may affect their safety.
- Appropriately positioning warning and detour signs around construction sites.
- Setting up barricades and traffic cones along construction sites to cordon off certain areas.
- Removing all signs, barricades, and traffic cones upon completion of construction work.
- Assisting the construction crew in the removal of rubble, debris, and hazardous materials.
- Recording the license plate numbers of motorists who neglect to obey traffic signs and directions.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Certification through the American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA).
- Proven experience working as a Flagger.
- Sound knowledge of state traffic regulations.
- The ability to stand for extended periods.
- The ability to work as part of a team.
- The ability to work in harsh weather conditions.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional observation skills.
- Effective communication skills.
Work Location Information
– Room and board provided
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
– Fast-paced environment
– Steel-toed safety boots
– Up to 23 kg (50 lbs)
Type of Construction
– Roads and bridges
Work Site Environment
Potzus Paving & Road Maintenance Ltd.